...for unto us a child is born,
to us a son is given,
and the government will be on his shoulders.
AND HE WILL BE CALLED:
Wonderful Counselor,
Mighty God,
Everlasting Father,
Prince of Peace...
There is a lot to be said about a name. I have a few. Nora, Nord, Nory, Mom, Honey... But those names don't really have much of an impact on those who call it.
... But HIS names?
Wonderful Counselor... wonderful ~ The American Heritage Dictionary describes wonderful as: capable of eliciting wonder or excitement. I can think of a few things that elicit wonder and/or excitement: The birth of my children... that filled me with wonder... how a child could grow inside of my belly as all its fingers and toes form, as its heart beats, how the brain works to teach them to walk and talk and eat and... yeah, that elicits wonder. and though I've never seen it... I understand the Grand Canyon elicits wonder. The platypus elicits wonder... the ocean, a sunrise, breathing...
...but HIM?
yeah. He elicits wonder in me. David said in the psalms..."what is man that you are mindful of him?" As I read that psalm I realize God elicited wonder in David too. He says: (in Nora's paraphrased version)
"O Lord, OUR Lord- how full of majesty your name is... in ALL of the earth! Your glory can be seen above the heavens-its HUGE! - yet from the smallest of mouths... infants and children... you have established praise... ... when I look up at the heavens and think about the work of your hands, the moon and the stars which you set in place... (painting pictures with them in the sky... using them to establish time and seasons) who in the world is MAN, who in the world am I... that you even think of me... consider me... have your thoughts on me... care about me...
... but seriously? - a counselor that elicits wonder...
Like you could walk away from a 1 hr session with any earthly counselor and be filled with excitement and wonder. I don't think so. Yet Isaiah prophesied that the coming Messiah would be a Wonderful Counselor. A counselor who elicits wonder, amazement, awe and excitement... Oh the HOPE that is in a name! To think that time with Him could leave you - mouth ajar, drool hanging, dumbfounded.
Yeah, I think Isaiah knew what he was talking about! In fact, I know so. Because I have come away from some one hour sessions with this Wonderful Counselor thinking - How can anyone know me, really know me, and still love me like that? How can anyone know the deepest depths of my heart, the ugly parts of me... and still care about me like He does?
Who am I - that I am even on His mind at all... and on top of it all, that He could care about me....? It leaves me mouth ajar, drool hanging, dumbfounded. Grateful for a name. Not just any name... but His name. More than words they are character, truth... they are WHO He is and WHO He is to me. He is my Wonderful Counselor- try Him and see if He is not YOURS too!
No comments:
Post a Comment